B-1 (Business Visa)
The B1 Visa qualifies an individual to enter the US to conduct business and for business related purposes, as long as they are NOT receiving pay (salary or income) via a US based company/entity. Types of business this allows for are:
- Attending profession based conferences
- Negotiation of contracts
- Consultations with business associates
- Networking events
- Survey business sites
- Negotiate leasing agreements for those who are looking to build a business in the US
- Receive awards with no monetary attachments
- Athletes who are participating in an international competition, but are being compensated outside of the US
Visitors must be mindful that the business conducted does not require the visitor to remain in the US for any extended period of time and that they are not being paid directly from a US entity. Visitors may be compensated via non-US based companies. The visa holder is also restricted from doing
B-1 Visa’s may be a good choice for: professional athletes competing in the US, investors, independent researchers, service engineers, conference attendees, etc.
Those who do not qualify for a B1 Visa are: Thsoe individuals seeking work in the US. Workers who will reside in the US for an extended period of time, anyone who will be paid via a US entity for work done or business conducted. Workers in the US will need to apply for other visas.