Visitors Visas

There are two types of visitor’s visa that is issued via the USCIS to those individuals who are looking to visit the US. These are the B1 and B2 visas. Depending on the reason for your trip to the US, you will have to apply for either one. The B1 Visa is issued to those peoples who are visiting the US for Business. The B2 is issued to those individuals who are looking to visit the US for leisure and/or medical reasons.

For further help with interview needs and document preparation, contact our attorney, Keshab Raj Seadie, Esq for a Consultation and a Mock Interview.

Types of Visitors Visas:

B-1 (Business Visa)

The B1 Visa qualifies an individual to enter the US to conduct business related purposes, as long as they are NOT receiving pay (salary or income) via a US based company/entity. Types of business this allows for are: attending profession based conferences, negotiation of contracts, consultations with business associates, survey business sites, receive awards with no monetary attachments, etc. Visitors must be mindful that the business conducted does not require the visitor to remain in US for extended period of time and that they are not being paid directly from a US entity. Visitor may be paid via non-US based companies.

B-1 Visa’s may be a good choice for: professional athletes competing in the US, investors, independent researchers, service engineers, conference attendees, etc.

Those who do not qualify for a B1 Visa are: Workers, who will reside in the US for an extended period of time, anyone who will be paid via a US entity for work done or business conducted. Workers in the US will need to apply for a J-1 Visa.


The B-2 Visa is for those individuals who are entering the US solely for recreation or to seek medical aide. The purpose of the visit can be to visit friends or relatives, rest, tourism, pleasure, or is seeking medical treatment.

Those who do not qualify for a B-2 Visa are: individuals who are seeking to work or study in the US. Temporary students, photographers, and journalists are also ineligible for this visa.


The J-1 exchange visitor visa is for those individuals who plan on working in the US for a short period of time. Travelers wishing to apply for the J-1 Visa must first be accepted into an exchange program and hired to work in the US.